VATICAN CITY, JUN 24, 1998 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Promoted Cardinal Roger Etchegaray, president of the Committee and Presidential Council of the Great Jubilee of the Year 2000, to the Order of Bishops, assigning him the suburbicarian see of Porto-Santa Rufina.
- Appointed Archbishop Francois Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan, vice-president of the Pontifical Council Justice and Peace, as president of this Pontifical Council.
- Appointed Bishop Mario Antonio Cargnello, bishop of Oran, as coadjutor archbishop of Salta (area 70,000, population 785,000, Catholics 682,500, priests 93, religious 200), Argentina.
- Appointed Bishop Philip Za Hawng, auxiliary of Myitkyina, as bishop of Lashio (area 30,000, population 2,216,000, Catholics 29,600, priests 26, religious 92), Myanmar.
- Appointed Fr. Celio de Oliviera Goulart, O.F.M., as bishop of Leopoldina (area 8,666, population 570,000, Catholics 451,000, priests 47, religious 185), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Piracema, Brazil, in 1944, made his solemn profession in 1969 and was ordained a priest in the same year. He has been guardian of the Santo Antonio Convent and pastor of the same parish, in the diocese of Divinopolis.
- Appointed Fr. John Baptist Tseng Chien-tsi as auxiliary of the diocese of Hwalien (area 8,144, population 615,000, Catholics 58,224, priests 60, religious 109), Taiwan. The bishop-elect was born in Chipen, Taiwan, in 1942, was ordained a priest in 1972, and since 1982 has been pastor of Chipen.
- Appointed Fr. Tarcisio Giovanni Nazzaro, O.S.B., as ordinary abbot of the territorial abbey of Montevergine, Italy.
NA:NEC:NER:NEA/.../... VIS 980624 (250).